Monday, November 4, 2013

The making of a braai

Last Friday, we had a fundraising braai at the Overstrand Care Centre.  Each employee had to sell (or use for themselves) three tickets.  The tickets cost 30 rand each, and they bought you a to-go box of our fabulous braai food.  I thought this was a pretty good deal!

The braai started early in the morning.  You have to get the fire going so that the coals will form to smoke the chicken.


That's a pile of fuel!  It's going to make one heck of a fire.


While the guys get the fire going, the ladies are inside making the salads.





I wanted to help, mostly because I wanted to learn the recipes, but I was busy with my normal patient care work for most of the morning.

The next time I checked on the progress of the braai, the braaing of the meat was well underway.



Yum!


That's a pile of chicken!  It explains why they needed so much wood!

Once the chicken was ready, it was time to package the food.  Since all of our patients were pretty quiet by this point, I took some time out to help with the boxing.


We packaged 120 boxes of food!  Each box had a little vegetable garnish (because we're totally healthy like that), pasta salad, potato salad, and a piece of chicken.  Everything was really good!


The finished product.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how we braai.











No comments:

Post a Comment