Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lots of photos

My apologies that it has been nearly two weeks since my last post.  I have been very busy.  Martin has been on his yearly vacation since the first week of March, so I've been in charge at the care centre.  Yikes!  In the midst of trying to run an 8 bed inpatient facility by myself, I've also had some visitors!  My mom and sister were here in South Africa for the past 10 days.  It was great to see them, but unfortunately it was a working holiday, in that I worked and they were on holiday.  I just dropped them at Cape Town International this morning, and I'm currently waiting for my friend Jenny to arrive here this evening!  Jenny is one of my best friends from college, and she studies zebras in Kenya, so she is coming down to see me before she heads back to the US.  In the meantime, I am spending the afternoon hanging out in the HOPE Africa offices in Cape Town, and that's the perfect opportunity to show you a bunch of the pictures I've been snapping over the past few weeks.  Enjoy!

Recently at work, we've been having fundraisers on Friday.  Wendy is displaying her excitement about our koeksisters, which are like doughnuts soaked in syrup.  YUM.

A beautiful late summer day at Overstrand Care Centre!

Stellenbosh, where Hananja and I recently spent a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Buttercup, my furry home invader.

This little doggie followed me around work for an entire day recently!  I named him Squirt.

Fish and her two orange kittens, Clementine and Cheeto.

The Ash Wednesday service at St. Andrew's Anglican Church in Hawston, where the service was in Afrikaans and it was about 105 F inside the worship space.  I deeply regretted my decision to wear a sweater.

Me and my friend Rod on a recent visit to one of the wineries in the Hemel en Aarde valley.

Hananja contemplates the wine list.

Yeah, that's my yard.  I know you're jealous.

Bishop Margaret of False Bay, the first female bishop in the Anglican Church of Southern Africa, visited us at the care centre a few weeks ago!

Just me chillin with the Bishop.

Robben Island

Yes, that is Nelson Mandela's jail cell.

Me and my sister and our Robben Island tour guide, a former political prisoner who now lives and works as a free man on Robben Island.

Table Mountain as viewed from Robben Island.

The limestone quarry on the island, where prisoners were forced to labor.

From Nobel Square at the V&A Waterfront.  Desmond Tutu has a seagull on his head.

Table Mountain cable car!

This is what Cape Town looks like from inside the cable car.

My sister Amy at the top of Table Mountain

Me at the top of Table

Beautiful view, I know.  Of course I'm talking about the lady in the photo, not the scenery.

Table Mountain as seen from the V&A Waterfront.

Hout Bay, still one of my favorite spots in Cape Town.

Me and my mom at one of the lookouts on Chapman's Peak drive.

More cuddly penguins at Boulders Beach.

Table Mountain and Lion's Head from the top of Signal Hill.

... and a house in Cape Town with a GREAT paint job!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment