Saturday, August 17, 2013

Travel light

My bags are packed!  Actually, just one bag.  Why only one, you ask?  Great question!  Remember how I believe the purpose of this experience is service?  I want to be a part of the community where I will be living, and that means living like a local.  So, why would I want to bring a bunch of stuff from here?  I'm trying to go without a lot of baggage, both literally and figuratively.  I'm going to travel light!

Once I had my mind set on only taking one checked bag, it became sort of a challenge for me.  It was a good exercise in what it means to 'need' something.  I decided early on in the packing process that if I couldn't get everything I thought I needed into one suitcase, then it was because I was packing too much stuff.  This was a great philosophy, but it was slightly complicated by the fact that South Africa actually does have real seasons.  It's not like I'm going to Haiti, as several of my fellow YASCers are, where it will be hot all the time.  During the winter (that's right now), South Africa could have temperatures as low as the mid-40's at night.  While that's warmer than winter in Virginia, and it actually sounds pretty nice compared to the upper 90's we had here a month ago, it necessitates packing a jacket or two.  In the summer (that's December, January, and February), it might reach the 90's during the day.  So I had to pack some bulky stuff in addition to shorts and t-shirts.  But still, that's no excuse for checking two bags!

So, what exactly did I pack?

This is my trusty suitcase.  I've had it at least since college, and I've taken it to Ecuador, Nicaragua, the Caribbean.  Most recently, my mom borrowed it to take it to Istanbul on vacation.  The sticker is my identifier - it says "Pi Beta Phi Supports the Generals".  Horray for alma mater and sorority shout-outs!
These are all the shoes I'm taking for a year, plus a pair of shower shoes and my lovely nursing Crocs (not pictured).
It just so happens that I already have scrubs in the color that Hawston Hospice uses!  Navy blue bottoms, white tops.  Classic and stylish (for a nursing uniform, anyway!)
Some warm gear for cold weather
I tossed in some scarves.  Never know when you might need a scarf for a little additional coverage, or for a little decoration.
A few button-down shirts
A few t-shirts.  I find I never have enough t-shirts.
Some clothes to run in.  Running is like breathing.  I HAVE to do it, wherever I am!
My personal pharmacy.  I'm bringing the largest bottle of Dramamine you can buy.  Anyone who has ever sat near me on a bus, plane, train, boat, or even a car on a windy road will tell you that this is a good idea.  (Sorry, Sean, for almost throwing up on you on that bus during orientation.  I warned you not to sit next to me.)
Toiletries.  I think I'll be able to get a lot of stuff I need there.  I'm only taking things that I think might be hard to find, or things that I prefer a certain brand.  Sunscreen is a good example of this.  I'm sure there is sunscreen in South Africa, but I am allergic to a lot of brands of sunscreen, so I'm bringing some of my trusty Neutrogena and Banana Boat.
Is it all going to fit??
It BETTER all fit!  I'm going to MAKE it fit!!
IT FITS!!
It fit so well, in fact, that I added a few sweaters I wasn't planning on bringing.  I feel that I should add a disclaimer that I did have to put my fleece jacket in my carry-on.  It just didn't scrunch down well.

I'm also bringing my cell phone, camera, and an iPad (instead of a computer), as well as a few paper-back books, a New Testament, and a Book of Common Prayer.  Any other reading material that I decide I need I plan to buy on the iPad. 

So, that is how I pack for a year.  I hope I didn't forget anything important.  Oh!  I better go throw in my passport...  just kidding!

My flight leaves Richmond at 12 noon tomorrow, Sunday, August 18.  I land in Cape Town on Monday, August 19, at 9:30 PM local time.  That's a 27.5 hour travel time.  Good thing I packed all that Dramamine! 

My next blog post will be from South Africa!  Until then, tootsiens (goodbye in Afrikaans)!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had room for the BCP and NT! We miss you, already!

    ReplyDelete