Thursday, August 29, 2013

Week Two in Cape Town

Good morning from Cape Town!  Today is my last day in the city.  Tomorrow I move to Hawston!  I've been spending the week getting ready and sorting out things like internet connection.  Internet is a little counterintuitive here for an American: you connect through the cell network, and buy a router that converts airtime to data.  Then you pay for your data.  I paid 300 rand for 3 GB of data (that's about 30-35 dollars) and I have no idea how long that will last me.  As I said in my last blog post, I took Tuesday to explore the city with Emily.  It was awesome!  Here are some pictures:


The Victoria and Alfred waterfront



The clock tower at the waterfront.  It happens to be my favorite color.


Look!  Emily and I got a photo with Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu!  Also two other South African Nobel laureates who I am unfamiliar with.

We ate lunch at an African restraunt called Moyo on the waterfront.  I tried a lentil bobotie.  It is basically a lentil and veggie bake, topped with baked egg.  It was delicious.


The servers come around and offer to paint your face.  Emily was really enthusiastic about that!


A little touristy, but tasty and fun!


Next we headed to the St. George's Cathedral downtown:





Clearly I haven't quite gotten the stained glass obsession out of my head yet.


They had a chapel dedicated to prayers for Nelson Mandela.

The Company Gardens are just a block from the cathedral:


According to Lonely Planet, which is clearly the end-all on Cape Town information, the gardens started out as the vegetable patch for original employees of the Dutch East India Company when they first occupied Cape Town (Kaapstad to them).


Today they are a lovely garden with all sorts of ponds, plants, paths, and people playing football and taking photos.




I believe this is an Egyptian goose.  Please correct me if you know that I am wrong.


More of the crazy birds from the rugby pitch!  Still don't know what they are.


Bird of Paradise.  I do know my flowers.

So you can see why I'm a little sad to leave Cape Town tomorrow.  Everyone I know on the entire continent is here!  It seems a little scary to pack up and move again.  I know it's nothing compared to the move I made two weeks ago to leave the US and come over here, but still it's another change.  However, I am excited to get to Hawston, settle into the house where I will live for the rest of the year, and get to work on my real job.  This is the reason I am here!  

For now, I will leave you with this:


Daffodils grow at the southern tip of Africa!


3 comments:

  1. So we have the boys in Grahamstown, and now we have the Capetown Crew, yes? :) Ola from Brasil! I'm a YASC-er from last year with another 5 months to go in Sao Paulo, and I'm super excited to follow you all this year as you begin this awesome journey! (Kind of like in 'The Hobbit' - "I'm going on an adventure!") I remember staying in touch with people from last year while they were in South Africa, and I have a friend in Durban (should you ever get around to visiting there), and I really hope you enjoy this time of transition, and your year ahead! :) All the best from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a guess on those other 2 statues. I think one is F.W. DeKlerk (Afrikaner president who unbanned the ANC and let Mandela out of prison. He served as deputy president during Mandela's term, and they split the Nobel Peace Prize). I'd guess the other is Albert Lutuli, an ANC leader who receive the 1960 Peace Prize. Wikipedia says Lutuli has an Episcopal feast day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Keri! I look forward to following you here, it looks beautiful there and this seems like it will be a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete